Capriccio Youth Choir
We bring together young singers who aspire to learn, grow and perform.
Capriccio Youth Choir offers dedicated singers an opportunity to share the stage with some of Central Ohio’s most accomplished vocal musicians and conductors. These auditioned ensembles for students in grades 2-12 sharpen young vocalists' sight-singing skills, develop knowledge of music theory and improve vocal technique.
Under co-founding Artistic Director Alyson Bates, the Capriccio Youth Choir has sung with the Central Ohio Symphony, the Ohio Wesleyan University Choral Arts Society and BalletMet Columbus in addition to its appearances at Capriccio Columbus concerts. Recent special performances include the combination of all choirs in November of 2014 to perform the Ohio premier of Lumen, a work by Abbie Betinis, in addition to the Virtuoso and Spiritus choirs performance of Bengi Lele, a commissioned work of Paul Caldwell & Sean Ivory sponsored by Chorus America in the spring of 2015.
Capriccio Youth Choir and Capriccio Columbus also hosted composer Stacey V. Gibbs in a workshop festival for area high school choirs and a performance conducted by Mr. Gibbs in October of 2015. Spiritus Choir then had the honor of premiering Try Real Love, an arrangement from Mr. Gibbs, the following month. Another collaboration of Capriccio Youth Choir and Capriccio Columbus was a similar hosting in October of 2016 with Columbus-native composer Kevin Foster. This festival again included area high school choirs as well as a commissioned work of Foster's.
We are excited to offer ensembles to include singers from second grade through twelfth grade, including changed voices.
Capriccio Youth Choir is comprised of five ensembles:
- Primo Voce - CYC's youngest ensemble, a beginning choir for singers just starting their vocal journey
- Cantare - a developing treble ensemble singing unison, two-, and three-part repertoire
- Virtuoso - an advanced treble ensemble performing three- to four-part repertoire
- Spiritus - an advanced chamber ensemble of mixed SATB voices.
- Tour Choir - a select group of singers from Virtuoso and Spiritus who participate in our bi-annual large tour, upcoming to Washington, D.C. in June 2018.
CAPRICCIO YOUTH CHOIR DIRECTORS
Please click here to get to know our directors.
CYC will conduct placement auditions for our 2017-18 concert season by appointment on May 10 and 17, 2017. All singers entering grades 2-12 for the 2017-18 school year are invited to join us!
These auditions also include the opportunity for placement into our CYC Tour Choir for next season, traveling to Washington, D.C. This tour is a service tour, using our musical gifts to perform for veterans and honor the service of active-duty and veteran armed forces. It is an exciting opportunity that we are proud to share with our singers!
To schedule a fun, low-pressure placement audition or get more information, contact CYC Artistic Director Alyson Bates at email@example.com.
Support our CYC Tour Choir
We are currently collecting support for our service tour to Washington, D. C. Please consider donating to help reduce the cost for our singers. Click here for more information.
Each July, our CYC singers have the opportunity to attend a two-day intensive to improve their music literacy, ensemble development, and personal vocal technique. The CYC Summer Institute is open to any singer entering grades 2-12 the following school year, not just those that are part of Capriccio Youth Choir. Click here for more information and to register for CYC Summer Institute today!
The Youth Choir rehearses on Wednesday evenings from the last week in August through May 1st with a break in December. Rehearsals are held at Saint Andrews Christian Church, 1985 Swansford Drive, Dublin 43016.
- Primo Voce - 6:30-7:15 p.m.
- Cantare - 7:00-7:50 p.m.
- Virtuoso - 7:00-7:50 p.m.
- Spiritus - 7:55-8:40 p.m. (with special combined rehearsals beginning at 7:35 as scheduled)
The Capriccio Youth Choir’s $250 tuition covers a full season of instruction during rehearsals as well as a music bag, a rehearsal shirt and a performance polo shirt. Additional attire fees are necessary for those performing in Spiritus ensemble. A $50 tuition deposit is due at the placement audition. Financial assistance and sibling discounts are available.
CYC 2016-17 SEASON:
- Summer Institute: Tuesday & Wednesday, July 12-13
- Last Auditions for 2016-17 season: Wednesday, August 10
- Mandatory Singer & Parent Meeting: Wednesday, August 17 (All Choirs @ 7:00-7:45 p.m.; Spiritus @ 7:45-8:15 p.m.)
- First Season Rehearsal: Wednesday, August 24
- Spiritus Performance with Guest Composer Kevin Foster: Sunday, October 23 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Cantare Performance at St. Andrews Christian Church: Sunday, November 6 @ 10 a.m.
- "I Sing Because I'm Happy" Fall Performance (all choirs): Sunday, November 20 @ 4:00 p.m., All Saints Lutheran Church
- No Rehearsal (winter break): December 14-28
- Rehearsal resumes: January 4, 2017
- Virtuoso/Spiritus Performance at St. Andrews Christian Church: Sunday, January 15 @ 10 a.m.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Performance: Monday, January 16 @ 10 a.m., Worthington United Methodist Church
- No Rehearsal (spring break): April 12, 2017
- "Songs of Home" Spring Performance (all choirs): Sunday, April 30, 2017 @ 4:00 p.m., Covenant Presbyterian Church
- Returning Singer Placement Auditions (all choirs): Wednesdays, May 3 & 10
- New Singer Placement Auditions: Wednesdays, May 10 & 17, by appointment (see information above)