Capriccio Youth Choir
Bringing together young singers who aspire to learn, grow and perform.
Capriccio Youth Choir challenges dedicated singers in grades 2-12 to sharpen their sight-singing skills, develop knowledge of music theory, and improve vocal technique through high-quality music education practices.
These auditioned ensembles provide successful learning and performing opportunities through mastery of quality and challenging repertoire in a safe and nurturing environment. Young musicians can apply the skills of self-confidence, teamwork, positive work ethic and emotional sensitivity they cultivate with CYC to other areas at school, home, their community and beyond.
We are excited to offer ensembles to include singers from second grade through twelfth grade, including changed voices.
Capriccio Youth Choir is comprised of five ensembles:
- Primo Voce - CYC's youngest ensemble, a beginning choir for singers just starting their vocal journey
- Cantare - a developing treble ensemble singing unison, two-, and three-part repertoire
- Virtuoso - an advanced treble ensemble performing three- to four-part repertoire
- Spiritus - an advanced chamber ensemble of mixed SATB voices.
- Tour Choir - a select group of singers from Virtuoso and Spiritus ensembles who participate in our bi-annual large tour, upcoming to Washington, D.C. in June 2018. Tour Choir will participate a local tour on alternating years.
Capriccio Youth Choir also offers singers an opportunity to share the stage with some of Central Ohio’s most accomplished vocal musicians and conductors. Under co-founding Artistic Director Alyson Bates, the Capriccio Youth Choir has sung with the Central Ohio Symphony, the Ohio Wesleyan University Choral Arts Society and BalletMet Columbus in addition to its appearances at Capriccio Columbus concerts.
Capriccio Youth Choir and Capriccio Columbus enjoy collaborating with a variety of composers. In October of 2016, the choirs enjoyed the opportunity to host such a collaboration with Columbus-native composer Kevin Foster. This workshop festival included extending the opportunity to area high school choirs as well as the combined performance of a commissioned work of Foster's.
The Capriccio ensembles also hosted internationally renowned composer Stacey V. Gibbs in a similar festival in October of 2015, concluding with a performance conducted entirely by Mr. Gibbs. Spiritus Choir then had the honor of premiering Try Real Love, an arrangement from Mr. Gibbs, the following month.
Other special performances include the Virtuoso and Spiritus choirs performance of Bengi Lele, a commissioned work of Paul Caldwell & Sean Ivory sponsored by Chorus America in the spring of 2015, and the combination of all choirs in November of 2014 to perform the Ohio premier of Lumen, a work by Abbie Betinis.
We are currently scheduling auditions for our 2018-19 concert season on May 9th and 16th! All singers entering grades 2-12 in the fall of 2018 are invited to join us! To schedule a fun, low-pressure placement audition or get more information, contact CYC Artistic Director Alyson Bates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support our CYC Tour Choir
Our CYC Tour Choir is traveling to Washington, D.C. in June! This endeavor is a service tour, using our musical gifts to perform for and honor the service of active-duty and veteran armed forces. It is an exciting opportunity that we are proud to share with our singers!
We are continually collecting support for our service tour. Please consider donating here to help reduce the cost for our singers.
Each July, our CYC singers have the opportunity to attend a two-day intensive to improve their music literacy, ensemble development, and personal vocal technique. The CYC Summer Institute is open to any singer entering grades 2-12 the following school year, not just those that are part of Capriccio Youth Choir. With the CYC staff as well as special guest musicians and teachers, it is a time of fun and growth that makes special memories each year!
This year our Summer Institute will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday, July 17-18 from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Registration deadline is Friday, June 29th. Click here for more information.
The Youth Choir rehearses on Wednesday evenings from the last week in August through May 1st with a break in December and March. Rehearsals are held at Saint Andrew Christian Church, 1985 Swansford Drive, Dublin 43016.
- Primo Voce - 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Cantare - 6:55-7:55 p.m.
- Virtuoso - 6:55-7:55 p.m.
- Spiritus - 7:45-8:45 p.m.
The Capriccio Youth Choir’s tuition covers a full season of instruction during rehearsals as well as a music bag, a rehearsal shirt and a performance polo shirt. Additional attire fees are necessary for those performing in Spiritus ensemble. A $60 tuition deposit is due at the placement audition. Tuition for our 2018-19 concert season is $300. Financial assistance and sibling discounts are available.
CAPRICCIO YOUTH CHOIR DIRECTORS
Please click here to get to know our directors.
CYC 2017-18 SEASON:
- Tour Choir: July 7-10
Thursday, July 8: Morning performance at National World War II Memorial (part of the National Festival of the States); Evening performance for American Military Veterans
Friday, July 9: Evening performance with DC Boys Choir (Asbury United Methodist Church; part of the National Festival of the States)
CYC 2018-19 SEASON:
- New Singer Placement Auditions for 2018-19 season: Wednesdays, May 9 & 16, by appointment (see information above)
- Tour Choir to Washington, D.C. - June 7-10
- CYC Summer Institute: Tuesday/Wednesday, July 17-18, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. @ SACC
- CYC Family Picnic & Opening Season Singer/Parent Meeting: Sunday, August 26 (All Choirs)
- First Season Rehearsal: Wednesday, August 29
- Capriccio & CYC Family Concert (all choirs): Sunday, October 21st @ 4:00 p.m., Beechwold Christian Church (280 Morse Rd, Columbus)
- Cantare Performance at St. Andrews Christian Church: Sunday, November 4 @ 10 a.m.
- "Songs of the Season" Winter Performance (all choirs): Sunday, December 2nd @ 3:00 p.m., Dublin Community Church (81 W. Bridge St., Dublin)
- Bring a Friend Rehearsal: Wednesday, December 5th
- No Rehearsal (winter break): December 19-January 2
- Rehearsal resumes: January 9, 2019
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Performance: Monday, January 21 @ 11 a.m., Worthington United Methodist Church (Virtuoso & Spiritus Choirs)
- No Rehearsal (spring break): March 27, 2019
- "Spring Sing" Spring Performance (all choirs): Sunday, April 28, 2019 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Returning Singer Placements: Wednesdays, May 1 & 8
- New Singer Placements: Wednesdays, May 8 & 15